Friday 27 June 2008

Deep Red

"Deep Red"
(Apoptygma Berzerk)

Deep Red is blurring my eyes
I'll wait in the closet until tonight
I want you to explain your feelings for me
The blade on your skin is what matters to me
I will wait for you to scream and shout
But you open your mouth the blood runs out

The knife cuts through her skin
And your heart starts beating faster
You feel the pressure within
As you look into her eyes


First, it's pretty evident this song has to do something with Dario Argento's motion picture, or can it be just a coincidence they both share the title? It could be, of course, but it's not very likely. I guess this song has do with sex or with a murder. Or maybe with sex seeing as a way to inflict wounds. It's greatly poetic that first part of "deep red is blurring my eyes", as if saying that rage, passion, furor, etc., is taking over the narrator, dominating him, nourishing his hard feelings but also giving him patience until the right moment rises ("I'll wait in the closet until tonight"). Also, this guy (killer?) thinks that to produce fear on somebody, to take someone to her limits is an efficient way to communicate ("I want you to explain your feelings for me"). Maybe he just wants the thrill of hear her "scream and shout" and does not expect death, since that "but...you open your mouth, the blood runs out" bit. It's evident the narrator knew that if he wanted her to scream and shout she would have to open her mouth, but maybe he wanted to listen to her "eyes".

No comments:

Post a Comment